Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery*

My dear friend from China gave this book to me for Christmas since it is her favorite book. I had never read it. The version she gave me is the "deluxe pop-up"-unabridged text.
Of course, then, my two sons, loved paging through it and making the pictures "move".
As a result, I read it aloud to them.  They loved it and so did I!
A classic-so many themes and quotable lines!
A book enjoyed by people from various cultures must indicate it is a book to be read!


The narrator's plane crashes into the Sahara Desert.  As he is trying to repair the plane, he meets the Little Prince .. .who is a prince of a small planet, three volcanoes (one is extinct) and a flower.
*Highly recommend.
Strategies: check for understanding (story switches settings and time periods), synthesizing, inferring, predicting

Read aloud-my boys, ages 8 and 5, enjoyed hearing it read aloud to them.  They probably do not understand the deeper aspects/themes of it but could still understand and love the main story.  The pop up pictures and movable pictures also fostered a love towards it!!

Top readers in 3rd-4th grade could read and possibly understand this book but older readers will appreciate the richness, the themes and what it has to offer even more so.

Pair with picture book by Peter Sis-The Pilot and the Little Prince (a biography about Antoine De Saint-Exupery).

No comments:

Post a Comment