Saturday, February 6, 2016

The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea by Brenda Z. Guiberson illustrated by Gennady Spirin*

Melissa Stewart (author of children's science books-http://www.melissa-stewart.com/) recommended this book in one of her emails (I subscribe to them.) Link to her suggestion: http://celebratescience.blogspot.com/2016/01/persuasive-writing-text-set.html
Wow!!  My boys and I loved this book!!  Ms. Guiberson shares truly amazing facts about sea creatures . . .some I had never heard of either!! (like-the vampire squid, barreleye fish, ocean sunfish, wolffish)
The format is:  The creature introduces itself (first person narrative) and then on the next page it explains why it is the most amazing sea creature.  Each paragraph ends with "That's why I am the most amazing creature in the sea!".
It was fun to discuss with my boys which creature they thought was the most amazing and why.
 My third grader immediately read this to himself when he saw it on the stack and asked me to reread it to him later that day.
*Highly, highly recommend.
*Borrowed from the library.
Great book to use as a mentor text for persuasive writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment