Thursday, May 18, 2017

Come on, Rain! by Karen Hesse illustrated by John J. Muth

I read a lot of books that were recommended for being a mentor text for adjectives and adverbs the other day and this one was only I thought was outstanding.
Ms. Hesse takes an ordinary occurrence, a hot summer day where people are longing for rain,  and creates a descriptive story that has the reader experiencing the oppressive heat.
A superb example of descriptive writing!
Also I like that it features a person of color without focusing on a social justice issue.  Child of different ethnicity need more books featuring them in ordinary circumstances.  
Mentor text- adjectives, figurative language, adverbs
**Highly, highly recommend.
I am borrowing multiple copies of this book so my 5th graders can see the beautiful language up close.
-Borrowed from the library.


No comments:

Post a Comment