Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Raisel's Riddle by Erica Silverman illustrated by Susan Gaber**

My eight year old and I read this together for reading.  We connected it to the other cultural Cinderellas we have read in the last couple of days.  We LOVED this one!  My son asked me if I was going to buy it  . . it is going on the "to buy" list!

Raisel is raised by her scholarly grandfather in small rural village.  When he dies, she travels to a nearby city to find employment.  A rabbi gives her work, but the malicious cook treats her poorly.  At the feast of Purim, Raisel overhears riddles the guests are sharing with the Rabbi's son.  Then, because of her kindness, Raisel is given the opportunity to attend the Purim play and wins this son's heart.
A wonderful story which celebrates the Jewish culture.
Takes place in Poland.
My son and I especially liked the clever riddles
**Highly, highly recommend.
-Borrowed from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment