Thursday, July 27, 2023

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

 Gerald Durrell, a naturalist and founder of Jersey Zoo and the Durrell Wildlife Preservation Trust, relates the years he and his family spent on Corfu, an island part of Greece. Having a propensity to collect animals at an early age, Gerald delighted in gathering animals in Corfu and bringing them to the family's villa. Some family members abhorred his hobby, while others tolerated it. Numerous humorous accounts throughout the book made me laugh out loud. I also enjoyed the descriptive nature of his Gerald's writing. Superb writing and word choice

 A couple of homeschool sites/books recommended this book (Gerald is basically homeschooled. .. sparodically. Despite his erratic education, he was very successful as an adult). Because of some of the implied and more direct sexual references, I am refraining from handing this book over to my eighth grader.

Warnings/consider: swearing, sexual references/sensuality, describes animals mating, drinking/adults becoming drunk

-I own this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment