Monday, December 18, 2017

The Shack by Wm. Paul Young

Over Labor Day weekend, Mackenzie, aka "Mack", takes three of his children for a last summer hurrah in the form of a camping/hiking trip.  On the last day, as he is trying to rescue his son from being trapped from a capsized canoe, a serial killer takes his youngest daughter. The authorities have never found the killer's victims.  So for three years after this horrifying event "The Great Sadness" descends upon Mack and changes his view of God.
Then one winter day, in the mail, he receives a note from God, telling Mack to meet him in the shack where Missy's blood was found on the wooden floors.  Mack goes, against his earthly good judgment, and is forever transformed.
The story captivated me and made me think more about my perceptions of God and my views on forgiveness.
As I was reading, however, I encountered some viewpoints which I believe are not Biblical (no hierarchy between God, Christ and the Holy Spirit; Christ not being separated from God when he died on the cross; Salvation through Christ is muddled-to name a few).  The emotion of the story may hinder the reader from clearly seeing some of the erroneous theology.
I would NOT recommend this book, especially to new Christians.
Here is a link to a review from Focus on the Family : http://www.boundless.org/faith/2008/the-shack-a-review
-Borrowed from a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment