Thursday, April 6, 2023

The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson with John and Elizabeth Sherrill**

 I read this powerful book aloud to my sons during lunch a few times a week. When I began reading aloud this book, I had no idea how incredible Mr. Wilkerson's story was. This book will leave a lasting impression.

David Wilkerson, a country preacher in Pennsylvania, felt a need to travel to NYC to minister to gang members. Without knowing where he would stay or where the money would come from to fund his trips, Mr. Wilkerson followed God's leading to share Christ's salvation and hope with young men and women whose lives served heroin and sex. His obedience allowed him to begin the future Teen Challenge (now Adult and Teen Challenge, with more than 200 residential centers in the USA and Canada). My sons and I had discussions about drug addiction, God's leading, and the Holy Spirit. Mr. Wilkerson was part of the Assemblies of God Church; his theology slightly differs from ours. It was beneficial to explore and discuss those differences.

I would rate this book "R". Since I was reading aloud, I could edit and skip over words/sentences. Mr. Wilkerson shared explicitly these kids' involvement with drugs and sex. 

Warnings/points to discuss: drug use (describes how they prepared the heroin and then how they shot up), some swearing, description of perverse sex/masturbation, describes drug withdraw, gang violence

**Highly, highly recommend-for teens and older-but only as a read aloud so can edit.

-I own this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment