Wednesday, April 12, 2023

The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White Audio (read by E.B. White!)**

 My thirteen-year-old and I listened to this audio book during our weekly trips for his medical appointments. Although we did not think E.B. White was the most enthusiastic narrator, he did not turn us off from listening. Mr. White is a superb writer. The Trumpet of the Swan is my favorite out of the three novels he wrote. 

Louis, the mute swan, learns to read, write, and play the trumpet so he can win his true-love's affections. He also works off to pay his father's debt. . .his father flew into a music store and stole a trumpet for his son!

My son and I laughed out loud often at the father's monologues. We loved the last chapter-an example of Mr. White's astute writing ability. A lot of songs are mentioned throughout the novel. It would be fun to listen to all of the songs. 

**Highly, highly recommend.

-Borrowed from the library (I own the actual novel.)



No comments:

Post a Comment