Friday, June 30, 2023

96 Miles by J.L. Esplin*

 While their dad is away, a blackout occurs. John and Stewart's dad have taught them to survive any situation. Their house is stockpiled with food, water, and other necessities. However, other people know about their dad and his preparedness. Men come and rob them, including the generator. John and Stewart set off with emergency food nestled in a crawl space to their friend's ranch; they must walk 96 miles in three days or die.

My thirteen-year-old son read this on his own. After he read it, while we were both working in the garden, we discussed our thoughts about the book. We discussed how dire situations reveal the true nature of mankind and also questioned ourselves about  if it is ever ok to do something wrong to save a life. Ms. Esplin laid out the plot in an unique manner. My son and I talked about her techinque. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first but as I thought about it, I see why she choose to tell the story this way. Lots to talk about! Very suspenseful!

Points to discuss/consider: mankind's natural bent, violence (men holding up the boys at gunpoint in the boys' home, some fighting), auto theft, some use of the word "freakin'", diabetes 

*Highly recommend.

-Borrowed from the library.




No comments:

Post a Comment