Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Paul Laurence Dunbar text set

 This month my sons and I read Paul Laurence Dunbar's poems for Poetry Treat. We discussed his illness, his alcoholism, and his marriage. We all agreed  that his poetry rhymes beautifully, that his word choice is superb, and that he incorporates imagery well. His poems are pleasing to the ear. My oldest son read one of his dialect poems aloud well.

The poems we shared with each other were mostly from this book-

-borrowed from the library

I used this book to share a bit of background about him and to show photographs of him, his family, and his residence.
-borrowed from the library

I highly recommend this booklet for teaching about poets. Simply Charlotte Mason booklets offer an brief biography about the poet, side notes about the poems, and quotes by Charlotte Mason about poetry. I own this booklet-
A beautifully illustrated picture book featuring his poetry that will appeal to children. I bought this book used. Artists featured: Ashley Bryan, Carole Byard, Jan Spivey Gilchrist, Brian Pinkney, Jerry Pinkney, & Faith Ringgold.







No comments:

Post a Comment