Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Jasper and the Riddle of Riley's Mine by Caroline Starr Rose

I read this book aloud to my two boys after hearing Ms. Rose talk on a podcast with Sarah Mackenzie on Read Aloud Revival.
Jasper and his older brother Melvin leave their alcoholic father for the Yukon to search for gold.  Their goal is to find a claim left by a man named One-Eye Riley.  Riley created clues for the searchers to figure out.  Jasper and his brother are not the only ones with the clues and encounter some cruel characters along the treacherous journey.
Very exciting and full of adventure.  A great book to read when studying the various gold rushes.
Although my boys did not seem to mind, most of the book was focused on Jasper and Melvin reaching the Klondike.  My boys loved using the clues and trying to solve the puzzle .  The map was especially fun to read and utilize!
I am not sure how I feel about the ending. . . .my oldest son thought it was amusing!
The chapters were on the longer side.
-Borrowed via the inter-library loan.  No library in my county owns it.

No comments:

Post a Comment