Saturday, June 10, 2017

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall*

Award winner
Before I began this blog, I read this book and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Recently my boys and I listened to it on CD while commuting to and from school.
We all laughed and relished in the humorous behavior of the four distinct personalities of the Penderwick sisters.
Mr. Penderwick takes his four daughters to a cottage on an estate for three weeks in the summer.  Soon Skye, the second oldest, encounters Jeffery, the son of the estate owner and an exciting friendship begins.  Jeffrey's mother has his entire life planned out, but unfortunately, Jeffrey has no interest in attending military school.  His adventures with the sisters bring the conflict to a head and resolution soon follows.
Ms. Birdsall is a superb writer developing each of the sister's characters very well.
*Highly, highly recommend.
-I own this book.  We borrowed the audio from the library.
Point to discuss/Warning: Throughout the book the girls say  "will kill me" or so and so "would murder her" to reveal how strongly they feel about something.  These phrases make me cringe.  Rosalind also develops a crush on an eighteen year old boy.  Nothing inappropriate occurs between them.


No comments:

Post a Comment