Friday, November 11, 2016

Owl Sees Owl by Laura Godwin illustrated by Rob Dunlavey*

The text is sparse but organized so creatively and cleverly.  There are, at the most, four words on a page, arranged vertically.
An owlet ventures out of his tree to explore the forest on his own.
The same words are repeated when the owl returns home, just in the opposite order.  Then the words create a different meaning.
My first grader read this book aloud to me.
My two questions were-why weren't the other owls from the nest soaring around at night?  That is when most owls are active (I know some are diurnal).  Also the owlets appear to be the same size. Owlets are different sizes because they are born a few days apart.  Maybe I am being too picky?!  
-Borrowed from the library.
*Highly recommend.
Strategy: cause/effect, mentor text for word play


No comments:

Post a Comment