Wednesday, October 30, 2019

The Wish Giver by Bill Brittain*

Award Winner- A Newbery Honor Book
My aunt gave this book to me as a Christmas gift when I was twelve years old, and I still have it!  My ten year old son pulled it off our shelves for our next read aloud.  He loved it! My twelve year even enjoyed it!
At the annual church social, Thaddeus Blinn sets up a tent, selling wishes for fifty cents a piece.  Polly, Rowena, Adam and Stew Meat enter the tent and end up buying a card with a red dot.  When they want to wish, all they have to do is press the red to and state their wish.
The first three make their wishes and . . .they do come true, but not how they imagined!  How can they undo their wishes?!
My son and I had a few discussions about what each person learned and which characters we liked and disliked and why.
*Highly recommend, but read my warnings:
Warnings: In the prologue, Stew Meat shares how their town, Coven Tree, was named after the term given to a group of witches-"coven". He also mentions "Satan's spawn" and how folks have seen the Devil walk through town, looking for souls to claim.  There are no more references like this in the rest of the book.  The characters are mainly teenagers so there is a bit of romance, but nothing explicit.  Some readers may find a man slowly turning into a tree a bit creepy!


No comments:

Post a Comment