Monday, November 11, 2019

Wanted . . .Mud Blossom by Betsy Byars*

I first read this book years ago when I worked with a reading group in my mother-in-law's fourth grade class.  I loved it so much that I bought it!
Since my fourth grader enjoys realistic, humorous stories, I selected this one for our read aloud.  I loved rereading it, and he begged me to keep reading, chapter after chapter.  My seventh grader even settled in with us while we were reading it!
The Blossom family attracts excitement!
It is Junior's turn to bring home the class pet, a hamster named Scooty, for the weekend.  In preparation, he has dug a tunnel for it in the backyard.  He feels sorry that it is locked in a cage all of the time.  As soon as he arrives home, he releases Scooty in the tunnel.  Junior is distracted because Mad Mary is missing and enters the house to see if there is any news about her.  When he returns, the tunnel boards have been upheaved, and Scooty is gone!  Who is the culprit?  All evidence points to Mud, Pap's dog. 
Chapters are split between figuring out what happened to Scooty, where Mad Mary is and who is trying to kill Vern and his friend Michael (and why??). 
I have so many compliments for this book-the writing is superb, fast moving plot, humor, well-developed characters.
This book is number six in the series.  I recommend reading the other ones first as this one references escapades from previous books. 
*Highly recommend.
-I own this book.
Warning: Maggie and her "boyfriend", Ralphie argue.  Maggie says she "hates him.  Ralphie calls and says he loves her (but by accident says it to Mrs. Blossom!! 😆 ).  Then they meet in the woods to "search for Mad Mary's cane" and share a kiss or two.  The whole scene is very humorous, not inappropriate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment