Tuesday, December 8, 2020

The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry

 I started to read this book aloud to my eleven-year old son, but he did not like the characters' behavior (adulst and children).  As a result, I read it to myself.  I found the story clever and amusing.  Ms. Lowry is a superb writer.

Mr. and Mrs. Willoughby have no interest in their children.  To free them from the burdern of children, they plan a trip from which they would never return.  The children also scheme and find themselves in a pleasant situation.  

I love Ms. Lowry's vocabulary incorporation and her references to quality classic stories. She defines the words and summaries her references.

Warnings/points to discuss: divorce, abandonment, Commander Melanoff wants to pinch Nanny's behind (he thinks his wife is dead, but she isn't.)

Sequel just published-The Willoughbys Return




No comments:

Post a Comment