Monday, March 1, 2021

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald*

 I read aloud this classic to my eleven-year old.  After hearing a well-known pastor use portions of this book in analogy for his sermon, my curiosity was piqued, and I bought the book.

The Princess has discovered hallways and doorways she did not know had existed.  In one room she encounters her many-greats grandmother, who seems to know everything!  No one, however, believes her stories about the beautiful elderly lady.  

Curdie, a miner's son, realizes that the goblins are planning to dig a tunnel into the Princess's house and steal the Princess as a bride for Harelip, the goblin king's son.  With patience and courage, Curdie manages to thwart their scheme and finds a friend in the process.

First published in 1872, it has never been out of print!

*Highly recommend.  

-I own this book.

Points to discuss/to consider- (for sensitive readers)- nasty goblins and battle violence 



No comments:

Post a Comment