Sunday, August 29, 2021

Breaking Waves by Robert Burleigh paintings by Wendell Minor*

Winslow Homer Paints the Sea 

Two months ago I had never heard of Winslow Homer.  When I was browsing Simply Charlotte Mason art portfolios, I asked my eleven-year-old to pick an artist he would like to study.  He selected Winslow Homer based on his painting subjects and style.  To my delight, I discovered this picture book about Mr. Homer that was just published this summer!

Beautiful illustrations; lyrical words.  Patterns provide a subtle structure to the writing (the seasons, repeated phrases).  Direct quotes by Mr. Homer are integrated into the story.  This picture book celebrates a man who truly enjoyed the work he was given to do.  After the main text, a lot of more information about Winslow Homer and tiny copies of his paintings are shared.  

Like Sarah Mackenzie says, a picture book is like having poetry and an art gallery in your lap.  This book supports her statement!

*Highly recommend.  I cannot wait to share this book with my son when study Mr. Homer!

-Borrowed from the library.



No comments:

Post a Comment