Monday, September 5, 2022

Mr. Malcolm's List-DVD*

Rated: PG

 I first read the review of this movie in World magazine this summer and was intrigued. My fifteen-year-old son read the review also and said he would watch it with me since it was similar to Jane Austen's books, in which he has enjoyed the movie versions. Since it was based on a book, I wanted to read the book first. I loved the book (see an earlier review). Then Sally Clarkson and her daughter-in-law recommended the movie on a recent podcast. My excitement to see the movie grew!

Our whole family watched the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is not as clever or meaty as Austen's novels or movies based on her novels, but still humorous and delightful. It is rated PG, but the only part that I found overtly concerning was how  Julia Thistlewaite dresses to show cleavage. Some kissing occurs at the end. The book had more "concerning" parts in it than the movie! How I wish they produced more movies like this one!

Julia Thistlewaite is enraged that Mr. Malcolm, a bachelor, does not ask her for another outing. Her cousin reveals to her that Mr. Malcolm has created a list of qualities he wishes to find in a wife. Julia has failed to meet his requirements. To exact revenge, she invites a school friend to join her in London and involves her in a nasty scheme.

*Highly recommend for junior high and older.

-Borrowed from the library.



No comments:

Post a Comment