Sunday, April 2, 2023

William Shakespeare's Hamlet retold by Bruce Coville illustrated by Leonid Gore*

 Since my oldest was in seventh grade, my sons and I have studied Shakespeare in some capacity each spring. To select our play for next year, I have borrowed several Shakespeare plays retold by Bruce Coville. My niece recently read Hamlet and highly recommends it. After reading this retelling, I understand the appeal to this story.

Hamlet's father dies while Hamlet is studying in Germany. His father's brother, Claudius, worms his way onto the throne and marries Hamlet's mother. When Hamlet's father appears in ghost-form, instructing him to avenge his death since Claudius had murdered him, Hamlet investigates to make sure he is not imagining his father's ghost. Treachery abounds and is exposed.

I did not care for the illustrations. They, however, were apropos to the theme and mood of the story.

*Highly recommend.

Warning: swearing, murder

-Borrowed from the library.



No comments:

Post a Comment