Sunday, May 28, 2023

A Taste of Chaucer chosen and edited by Anne Malcolmson illustrated by Enrico Arno

 Selections from The Canterbury Tales

I read The Canterbury Tales for the first time in college. I felt like I was reading a foreign language and thought I would fluck the class!! Thankfully I persevered and my mind acclimated to the English and spellings. Ms. Malcomson rewrites some of the tales with more modern spellings yet still incorporates the older English vocabulary so modern readers can enjoy these stories. She also introduces each tale, giving a general overview. In the back is a twenty-three page glossary, containing the older English words. As I read, I frequented the glossary!! I was surprised how often Chaucer used ancient tales as the structure for a lot of his stories.

A great book to utilize when encountering The Canterbury Tales and Chaucer for the first time. I wish I had access to this little book while in college!

-Borrowed via inter-library loan.



No comments:

Post a Comment