Monday, February 12, 2024

The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

 My son, who is a junior, is currently reading this classic for English. I have been trying to read the classics he is reading this year. By reading these books, my brain is being stretched. When I read modern books now, I feel like it is so easy and requires almost no effort!

The Pyncheons have owned the House of the Seven Gables for several generations. Greed and pride dominate the family. The land purchase on which the house stands commenced with greed and manipulation. In order to own the desirable land, Colonel Pyncheon accuses the land owner, Matthew Maule, of witchcraft. As Matthew is being hanged, he curses Colonel Pyncheon. Since that day unusual deaths have plagued the family. The current residents, Hepzibah and her half-crazed brother, Clifford, live in poverty. The decaying house suffocates their joy for life. Will the house and the curse continue to captivate the family?

I enjoyed the way Mr. Hawthorne describes scenes and people with metaphor. I also liked how he talked directly to the reader, like we were walking along aside of him, witnessing the story unfolding before us. He creates an intimacy with the reader. The vocabulary and verbose sentences required concentration and thinking on my part. I liked the Barnes & Noble classic edition. It contains footnotes and notes to explain obsurce allusions and analogies.

*Highly recommend for those who enjoy classics and being stretched in their reading.

-I own two copies of this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment