Friday, March 29, 2024

The Printed Letter Bookshop by Katherine Reay

 At first I wasn't sure if I liked this book because the characters frustrated me. As I continued to read, however, I realized that the author was developing them realistically. God is mentioned a few times but is not central to the character's lives. One character begins to change when she starts reading her Bible and praying. However, it seems like Maddie's letters to each of the three main characters and the books she recommends are what transforms them, not a personal relationship with God. 

Madeline, an inspiring lawyer, is shocked when she learns that her deceased aunt, Maddie, has given her her bookshop and home. As she navigates her new situation, she discovers a lot about herself and life. Two women who work at The Printed Letter are also impacted by Maddie's death. The three women form an unlikely friendship and help each other face issues in a healthy manner. The story is told from these three women's perspectives.

I loved all the references to books and, of course, I loved the setting---an independent bookstore!! I am interested in reading more of her books.

-Borrowed via inter-lib loan.



No comments:

Post a Comment