A great summer read!
Lucretia & her mom move to Candle Island, Maine to escape---her father's death, journalists who want to interview her artist mother. Candle Island contains its own secrets-vandals, children with special gifts, a hidden room.
I was captivated by the author's poetic sentences, her development of the setting (I wanted to move to Candle Island & explore it!), and her plot pace-how she revealed the secrets to the reader. Ms. Wolk also created likable, distinct characters. I appreciated Lucretia's relationship with her mom-so sweet.
The description of yummy meals Mrs. Sanderson made & served gave me the desire to knock on their door & ask to partake!
*Highly recommend but--Lucretia seemed too wise beyond her years . . .yet when I learned her full story, I could understand why she seemed a lot wiser than a typical 12-year-old.. . . Despite this slightly downside to the book, I still consider this novel as one of my favorite middle grade novels I have read in awhile.
-Borrowed from the library.

No comments:
Post a Comment