Thursday, July 28, 2016

Seven Men by Eric Metaxas*

"And the Secret of Their Greatness"
My boys and I were reading about John Newton and how he was influential in William Wilberforce's life.  I raved a few seconds about Wilberforce and my enthusiasm piqued their interest.  So they wanted me to read to them a book about Wilberforce.  Alas, I could not find any children's books about him so I read aloud the section about him in Mr. Metaxas' book.
Even though this book is written for teens and adults, my boys loved listening to this book and begged me to keep reading!
Wilberforce lived during a time in Britain where having a relationship with God was not fashionable.  Their beliefs and lifestyles were appalling.  Wilberforce used his influence and political power to transform the hearts and minds of the British.
This short account glorifies God in that He is always working in our lives and others' lives.
Other men featured in this book: George Washington, Eric Liddell, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Jackie Robinson, Pope John Paul II, and Charles W. Colson.
I think every male (and female) teenager should read this book!!
**Highly, highly recommend.
-Borrowed from the library but want to purchase it to share with my boys.
Seven Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness by [Metaxas, Eric]

No comments:

Post a Comment