Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Adventures of Peter Cottontail by Thornton W. Burgess illustrated by Harrison Cady

My dad read the entire Thornton Burgess animals series to me as a child.  I loved listening to the stories and have fond memories of those story times with him.
So I was thrilled to find a hardcover at a local bookstore.
In this book Reddy Fox relentlessly pursues Peter but Peter outsmarts him each time.  Peter also learns his lesson in being content in how he was created.
There were some aspects to the story/writing that I did not care for as I reread it to my sons.  Please read the "warnings/points to discuss" section.
Points to discuss/warnings: I did not appreciate the use of the word "stupid" throughout the story.  Animals were often mean to each other.  Mother Nature was credited as the creator and source of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment