Thursday, December 28, 2017

A Place I Called Home, The Gruber Wagon Works by Beth L. Hartman illustrated by Mallory L. Ketterer*

Beth Hartman, a local author and former teacher,  wrote from her father-in-law's perspective about spending summers at the family's wagon manufacturing business.  The story begins when Eddie, the narrator, is touring the Wagon Works after it has been moved to be featured as a museum.  As he tours the Wagon Works, he reminisces about his summers helping out his different uncles who worked there.
I like how the illustrations include the transportation of the museum too.  The illustrations are also intricate and depict the Wagon Works and local area well.
I love the end pages . . .very sturdy and brown-made me feel like I was going back in time as I opened the book.
A must read before touring this museum and during any unit when learning about early manufacturing.
Strategy: check for understanding (the narrator switches between the time when he was a boy and then in the current plot so it will require the reader to think and monitor understanding.)
*Highly recommend.
-I own this book (I know the author! 😁)

avatar for Beth Hartman & Illustrator Mallory Ketterer
Link to newspaper article about it: http://321-rewebvarnish.newscyclecloud.com/berks-country/article/a-new-childrens-book-tells-a-personal-story-about-the-gruber-wagon-works




No comments:

Post a Comment