Sunday, January 27, 2019

Wonder by R.J. Palacio*

I first read this book when it was newly published and immediately bought it, vowing to read it aloud to my boys someday.  I think every late elementary/junior student should read this book or hear it read aloud.

August (Auggie) was born with a facial deformity and has been home schooled all of his life.  Since his genetic disorder required so many doctor visits and surgeries, he would have missed a lot of school days in the regular system.  Now that he is entering fifth grade and the need for surgeries has decreased, his parents think it is time he enrolls into school outside of the home.  Beecher Prep is their choice.
But will the students at Beecher Prep choose to see Auggie as an ordinary kid, who is just like them on the inside?
Told from different characters' points of view (but mostly Auggie's).
My boys were spellbound by this story.  We were able to discuss kindness and judging others by appearance.
Auggie's family is incredible!

Warning/points to discuss: middle school/people's cruelty (very cruel!), bullying, Via mentions a girl being "flat"/chest size (thankfully I could skip over it since I reading it aloud!), Miranda mentions smoking over the summer (again, I could skip over), Via and her boyfriend Justin kiss, some characters' parents are divorced
Pair with Ugly by Robert Hoge.
*Highly recommend.
I own this book.
I have not seen the movie yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment