Tuesday, June 16, 2020

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles*

My husband's relative recommended this book to me.  I am so glad she did!  
After the Russian Revolution,  in 1922 Bolshevik leaders sentence Count Alexander Rostov to spend the rest of his life in the Metropol hotel.  The Count has known a life of leisure and independence.  Now he must find purpose and place in the confines of the hotel.  As he contemplates his circumstances, Alexander begins to find hope and relationships within his "prison".  
The excellent prose, the witty humor and the well-developed characters have made this book one of my all time favorites!  
The pace is slow in the beginning, but during the last quarter the plot intensifies.  
Mr. Towles is a magnificent author .  The amount of research involved to create this book plus the thought behind the plot and characters is impressive.  
**Highly, highly recommend.
Warning: Mr. Rostov has a relationship with an actress, Anna.  Details are not provided, but the reader knows without a doubt that they are intimate.  I am so thankful Mr. Towles did not describe those scenes.  
-I own this book.
My friend could not get into this book and stopped reading it.  Readers looking for an intense plot throughout its entirety should look elsewhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment