Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls**

Audiobook-read by Anthony Heald  6 hrs, 55 min.

 My fifth grade teacher read this book aloud to my class.  At the sad part she had a student read aloud to us because even after all of the years of reading it, she would still cry.  For this reason, I decided to listen to this book on CD with my boys instead of reading it aloud! 

Billy longs to own a pair of coon hounds.  He dedicates two years of his life to earning money to purchase them.  Old Dan and Little Ann are dreams come true!  Billy loves his dogs and trains them well. The threesome are successful coon hunters and soon encounter dangers beyond comprehension.  

This book is superbly written and will capture the hearts of animal-lovers.  I loved the use of figurative language.  Mr. Rawls also portrays real life well-the joys, the horrifying and the pain.  I also loved the relationship Billy had with his grandfather!  

**Highly, highly recommend.

Warnings: some swearing, graphic death of a human, death of beloved animals, some readers may not like the fact that Billy and his dogs kill coons.

-Borrowed audiobook from the library, but I own the book.




No comments:

Post a Comment