Friday, October 15, 2021

Sweet Home Alaska by Carole Estby Dagg

Terpsichore and her family move to Alaska during the Great Depression through a plan of FDR.  As she and her family adjust to the meager resources and delayed building projects, Terpsichore discovers ways she can utilize her gifts and interests (like starting a library and growing massive pumpkins).  

This novel is brimming with interesting details based on a real-life colony called Palmer.  Ms. Dagg thoroughly researched this time period and provides numerous opportunities to bolt down "rabbit trails".  

At first I was not sure if I was going to enjoy this story but when Terpsichore and her family arrived at the Alaska village, the plot became more interesting.  Another reason I did not fully embrace this novel was I am not a fan of FDR and his New Deal.  I sided with Terpsichore's father! Also, I do not know if I had a favorite character and am leaning to the opinion that the character development was lacking. 

*I can highly recommend this book for its solid historical information, descriptive setting,  and excellent writing style.  

-Borrowed from the library.



No comments:

Post a Comment