Friday, December 17, 2021

Christina Rossetti text set

 Inspired by Tomie DePaola's newest book, Christina's Carol, I decided to feature Christina Rossetti at our December Poetry Pie. I provided the books below, but the boys mostly read poems from Sing a Song a Season. I read poems from the Penguin Classic Christina Rossetti-The Complete Poems. She is famous for her poem "The Goblin Market". I, however, did not care for it and did not share it with the boys. 

1. Bloomsbury Poetry Classics-Christina Rossetti Selected Poems 

-Borrowed from the library.


2. Penguin Classics-Christina Rossetti The Complete Poems    I read from the section Sing Song: A Nursery Rhyme Book and also from Feasts and Fast (poems about Christmas). One of the poems you could turn the lines into riddles. Very fun!
-Borrowed from the library.

3. Blooming Beneath the Sun art by Ashley Bryan 
The only picture book I could find that features her poems. Mr. Bryan illustrated each poem with construction paper collage! Stunning. I also liked the brief biography about Ms. Rossetti included at the end. 
-Borrowed from the library.

4. The Victorian Fairy Tale Book -edited by Michael Patrick Hearn
I displayed this book simply because Christina's brother, Dante Gabriel Rossetti,  illustrated "The Goblin Market" in this anthology. I wanted to show the boys how artistic the Rossetti family was. Only two illustrations were included. We did not read "The Goblin Market".
-Borrowed from the library.
5. Sing a Song of Seasons-A Nature Poem for Each Day of the Year selected by Fiona Waters illustrated by Frann Preston-Gannon *Highly recommend.  I own this book (one of my favorite poetry anthologies!).
Out of all of the poets featured, Ms. Waters included more of Rossetti's poems than any other poet! 











No comments:

Post a Comment