Sunday, January 16, 2022

A Passion for the Impossible -The Life of Lilias Trotter by Miriam Huffman Rockness*

 I borrowed Honey for a Woman's Heart by Gladys Hunt from a friend.  As I browsed its pages, God focused my attention on a review about this book, A Passion for the Impossible. I knew He wanted me to read it.

I had never heard of Lilias Trotter. Her story proclaims what a life surrendered to God can accomplish through Him and for Him. Growing up in London, England, Lilias experienced a privileged life of comfort and education. She willingly left the "easy" life and the opportunity to develop her artistic gifts to minister to the Muslims in Algeria. Having a heart condition, no missionary board would accept her. She and two other ladies leave England and begin to serve African Muslims even though they do not know the language. Mrs. Rockness relates the impact Lilias's ministry had on the Arab world through careful research plus inclusions from her writings and journal entries.

Side-note: phrases from her writings inspired the hymn, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, a hymn I often hum and use as a prayer for certain young people.

*Highly recommend.

-Borrowed via inter-library loan since my county does not own the book.  In 2015 a movie was produced about her life. I also requested the movie via inter-lib loan.





No comments:

Post a Comment