Sunday, January 23, 2022

The Nature of Small Birds by Susie Finkbeiner*

 I read a review about this book in World magazine.

Three different family members, Bruce (father), Linda (mother), and Sonny (daughter), share their perspective about the adoption of Minh (aka Mindy) after the Vietnam War. Each person relates a specific year (Bruce-2013 & 2014, Linda-1975, & Sonny-1985). Ms. Finkbeiner beautifully tells a cohesive story about the Matthews family across generations. Although the reader can ascertain that the family believes in God, He is not central to the story. Hints of Him and His provision are inserted throughout the story.

The story caused me to re-evaluate how I interact with children who are adopted and who are a different nationality. I liked Bruce probably the best . . . he causually quotes poetry or ideas he has read in books. He is deeper and more reflective. Although he was my favorite character, all of the characters were well-developed and had distinct voices. I enjoyed reading Sonny's account because it brought back memories of the 1980's music and fashion and her vehicle--El Camino (my dad had one when I was growing up. My brother eventually took it to college.)! I found it curious that Mrs. Finkbeiner didn't choose Mindy's character to share a point of view, even though the novel centered on her joining their family. 

*Highly recommend.

-Borrowed from the library.





No comments:

Post a Comment