Saturday, July 16, 2022

Ambushed! The Assassination Plot Against President Garfield by Gail Jarrow**

 *Award winner- Excellence in Young Adult Nonfiction Winner-YALSA-ALA

Part of her Medical Fiascoes series

What a fascinating and immersive book! As I was reading this to myself, I would read aloud parts to my oldest son and also to my husband (whoever was in the same room as me!).

Ms. Jarrow writes about President Garfield and his killer, Charles Guiteau, in such an entertaining and engaging manner, one forgets the book is nonfiction! She reinforces how interesting history is. Although she reveals both men's upbringings, she focuses mainly on the political climate, the reason behind the plot to kill Garfield, the actual assissination and then the medical community's failing attempt to properly care for Garfield.  At times it is graphic (his medical condition, medical procedures etc), so sensitive readers may not enjoy those details. Sidenotes abound, strengthening the fact that history involves many enthralling rabbit trails!

**Highly, highly recommend.

-Borrowed from the library. I asked my local library director to buy this book for our library. She did! 




No comments:

Post a Comment