Monday, February 13, 2023

Karen Andreola's Pocketful of Pinecones -A Story for Mother Culture

 Mrs. Andreola creates a fictional family (Carol, Michael, Don, & Emily) to model how a mother may incorporate a Charlotte Mason philosophy into their home education. I loved the nature study examples and the many resources in the back. Unfortunately, a lot of the books are not in my library or available to buy. The chapters are short, which is a blessing for busy home schooling moms. Mrs. Andreola includes a couple of questions/ideas at the end of each chapter to implement. All of them are attainable.

 I found the character development lacking and the story a bit too idealistic. Carol does encounter major stresses and trials but for some reason, I did not find myself connecting to her or her family. 

 I loved the ideas and the idealism (even though it was not realistic, it was fun to escape to it!!). Mrs. Andreola has written a second book, which is on my TBR pile. I am looking forward to it as I liked the escape! I can see a mom with younger children gleaning many ideas from this book.

-Borrowed from the library.




No comments:

Post a Comment