Saturday, June 15, 2024

A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey*

 I recently read that Josephine Tey is considered "one of the greatest mystery writers of all time". I had never heard of her, so decided to check her out. Initially the story did not capture my interest, probably because at this time of year I only have time to read right before bed and typically fall asleep within fifteen minutes. As a result, I could not keep all of the characters straight in my mind. Over vacation, however, I had large chunks of time to read and could focus on enjoying the story. I do highly recommend this book, but I still like Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers better!

Scotland Yard inspector, Alan Grant, is assigned the case to figure out how a famous actress died. As he uncovers clues and investigates into her relationships, he becomes more confused and frustrated. An interesting, fun read!

Warning if sharing with a teen: some swearing, a man is accused of being a lover to a married woman, a man who is into religion is evil and uses it for his selfish purposes

*Highly recommend for adult

-Borrowed from the library.



No comments:

Post a Comment