Tuesday, February 12, 2019

The Sign of the Chrysanthemum by Katherine Paterson

My aunt gave this book to me when I was twelve years old and I still own it!
I read this book aloud to my boys to support our study of medieval Japan.
When Muna's mother dies, he leaves his serf life and enters the capital of Japan to find his father.  Along the way he meets a questionable ronin and a renown swordsmith.  As he searches for his father, he discovers what kind of boy/man he is. 
Although he makes mistakes, he discovers forgiveness and a second chance.
A compelling story.  My twelve year old would beg me to keep reading it each night. We finished it one afternoon when I could read for an  hour.
A story of hope even though not everything ends perfectly.  Some profound statements are included.
Warning: word bastard is used to describe Muna (which is accurate but may not be a term parents want their children to hear/know yet), prostitutes are part of the city culture but the term is not mentioned in the book-one would have to infer, a girl Muna likes and befriends is taken into a brothel once her father dies.  Muna enters this brothel to rescue her but is beaten and thrown out.  Again, nothing explicit is written but if the reader is familiar with this kind occupation, they will be able to infer what is occurring. 
-I own this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment