Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Leonardo's Shadow by Christopher Grey

I assigned this book to my twelve year old to support our study of the Renaissance. 
The story takes place in 1497 in Milan when Leonardo has been working on The Last Supper fresco.  Giacomo, his servant, feels the pressure to make sure Leonardo finishes it before the Pope comes to Milan at Easter.  Giacomo is also trying to solve the mystery of his origins.

Unfortunately, I had my son stop reading this book halfway through when he showed me a couple of pages that hinted at Leonardo having relationships with another man.  No details were given  . . .just an accusation-not proven-"complaint against Leonardo for indecency . . .with another man".  Giacomo remembers seeing a sketch of this man, who was really a youth, in Leonardo sketchbook.  The sketch was labeled "my most beloved friend".  The youth looked similar to Giacomo. 

The library has it categorized as "young adult".

Warning: swearing "dn", the above paragraph   My son also mentioned that Giacomo was attracted to a married woman (but nothing happened between them).

-Borrowed from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment