Thursday, May 30, 2019

William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream retold by Bruce Coville illustrated by Dennis Nolan*

My sons and I are memorizing some lines from A Midsummer Night's Dream so I read aloud this picture book to my nine year old. 
We thoroughly enjoyed it!
This humorous story features four humans who are experiencing the complications with love.  The fairies and hobgoblins decide to assist and make a bigger mess . . . for awhile.
The illustrations are magnificent!  The expressions on the characters' faces are perfectly depicted.  We love Puck because of how Mr. Nolan drew his facial expressions. 
Couple of well known phrases are from this play- "The course of true love never did run smooth."  -Lysander and  "What fools these mortals be!"-Puck
*Highly recommend.
-Borrowed from the library.
Warning: Word "ass" is used throughout the book-referring to a donkey.  But then Bottom says, "Well, I'll not let them make an ass of me!". 

No comments:

Post a Comment