Saturday, June 22, 2019

The River by Peter Heller

Jack and Wynn, best friends since freshmen orientation, decide to spend some months canoeing a river into the Hudson Bay.  They imagine idyllic weeks fishing, reading, talking and picking blueberries in the Canadian wilderness.  They, however, do not anticipate a forest fire, encountering some raunchy drunk men or witnessing a couple arguing.  A day later they interact with the man from the couple. He claims his wife has disappeared.  Jack and Wynn, compassionate young men, decide to retrace their path and try to locate the wife.  But people and situations do not always seem as they first appear.  Whom can they trust or believe?  In a moment their peaceful adventure has turned into a terrifying experience where they are struggling just to live.
I loved the description of nature throughout this book . . . I felt like I was there, enjoying the serene wilderness.  The poetry and beauty woven into this novel also really appealed to me.  I also adored Jack and Wynn.  Mr. Heller deftly integrates Jack's and Wynn's family background into the narrative.
 This book made me cried, and I was sad by its ending.
I did not appreciate all of the swearing nor the fact that both Jack and Wynn chew tobacco.
-Borrowed from the library.


No comments:

Post a Comment