Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Text Set of Washington Irving

My sons and I enjoyed Washington Irving's two popular pieces of literature-Rip Van Winkle and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.


1. The Literary Adventures of Washington Irving-American Storyteller by Cheryl Harness*(highly recommend)
-Borrowed from the library.
A great book to build background knowledge about Washington Irving's entire life.
Detailed illustrations and borders


2. Unabridged The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Blackstone Audio Inc. read by Anthony Heald (*highly recommend)
-Borrowed from the library
My sons and I listened to this audio version over a few days.
Mr. Irving incorporates a lot of description of Sleepy Hollow and the countryside and also includes challenging vocabulary.  Listening to it enables the reader to thoroughly enjoy his writing and the story itself.  I even followed along with a physical book since I am a visual learner and also love savoring word choice and descriptions.


3.  The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and other selections from Washington Irving Edited and with an Introduction by Austin McC. Fox
I read from this book while listening to the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
-Borrowed from the library.


4.  Great Illustrated Classics-The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving
Adapted by Jack Kelly
My ten-year-old read Rip Van Winkle from this book.
We own this book.


5.  The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving  retold and illustrated by Will Moses
Since the vocabulary and sentence structure was challenging for my ten-year -old as we listened to The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, I also required him to read this picture book to himself to build up his schema and background knowledge.
A delightful retelling!
-Borrowed from the library.


6. Rip Van Winkle illustrated by Arthur Rackham
I read this version to myself.  I was impressed and challenged by the vocabulary!


7. Rip Van Winkle illustrated by N.C. Wyeth
My twelve year old read this illustrated copy to himself.




No comments:

Post a Comment