Sunday, January 5, 2020

The Adventures of Nanny Piggins by R.A. Spratt illustrated by Dan Santat

I read this aloud to my ten-year-old.  My twelve-year-old even liked to listen to it!  The events and characters are very humorous and ridiculous!  I, however, did not like Nanny Piggins and I also did not like what she considered "acceptable".   On the other hand, the incidents are extremely absurd so I do not think many kids would conclude that this is how they should live life!
*Before the book begins, the author has  included a disclaimer that children should not copy Nanny Piggins' behavior in anyway!
Mr. Green, a widower, advertises for a nanny.  When Sarah Piggins arrives on his doorstep, he is initially surprised to see that she is a pig.  Her rate is cheap; the kids like her, so she stays. The children experience many crazy adventures with her and experience happiness for the first time in their dreary home.
Warnings/points to discuss: lying, skipping school, forging adults' names, manipulative, selfish behavior, disrespect to authority, mother died in a mysterious boating accident
-Borrowed from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment