Thursday, March 26, 2020

The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett

Mr. Lovett is a superb storyteller.  I found myself wanting to read this book outside my "normal reading time". 
The story takes place during three different time periods & locations: 1995 Kingham, Oxfordshire/England,  1983-1994 Ridgefield, North Carolina,  & 1592-1800's various places in England.
Peter Byerly has just lost his beloved wife to brain cancer.  He moves to Kingham, Oxfordshire to a cottage they had just renovated to escape his grief.  When he discovers a painting in a bookshop in Wales, he begins a journey that permits him to heal, to find love and to solve a centuries old literary mystery.  As he uncovers secrets, he realizes he and his new friend Liz are not safe.
Individuals who love books and Shakespeare will relish reading this literary mystery.
I loved how Mr. Lovett wove in historical individuals whose actions affect the main character. 
Although I enjoyed the plot, I am not highly recommending it because of the below "warnings".   

Warnings: Peter communicates with Amanda's spirit-he sees her and talks with her.  The writers, booksellers, collectors, librarians in the 1500's-1800's participate in lewd activities with prostitutes.  I also did not like how some love making scenes were described in detail (Peter/Amanda and then also  characters in the past).  Some characters participate in adultery, and Peter and Amanda have premarital intimacy.  Peter also curses God in an offensive manner.  I almost stopped reading this novel when I read it.  It offended me greatly.   Liz uses some vulgar language when she thinks they will be trapped in a tunnel.
-Borrowed from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment