Tuesday, March 3, 2020

True Grit by Charles Portis*


An author I like wrote a blog post about Charles Portis and True Grit after Mr. Portis passed away on February 17, 2020.  The excerpts this author quoted intrigued me and convinced me to read the book.  I am glad I did!  While reading it, memories of devouring Louis L'amour books would flit in and out of my mind.  It was fun to read a western story again!
Fourteen year old Mattie leaves her mother and siblings behind in order to avenge her father's death.  Tom Chaney, their hired hand, has shot her father and escapes the law.  Mattie hires Rooster Cogburn, a U.S. Marshal, who is not afraid to kill.  Mattie, Rooster and a handsome Texas officer LaBoeuf enter Indian Territory to pursue Chaney and find themselves involved with some other outlaws.
The dialogue is witty, the plot engaging and the characters are well-developed.
Mattie is admirable character and her voice is strong and confident.
As recently as 2010 a movie has been produced based on this novel.
*Highly recommend.
-Borrowed from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment