Tuesday, April 20, 2021

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare*

 Two families joined my sons and me as we read the original play, A Midsummer Night's Dream. Using Ken Ludwig's book, How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare and other resources, I was able to host five "classes"!  We had so much fun discussing the play together and sharing favorite lines and parts.  The boys ranged from the ages of eleven to fourteen.  

I recommend reading a copy with modern English on the opposite page.  Below are books different boys/moms used during the "class"-

Folger Library-


No Fear Shakespeare- 
Shakespeare Made Easy-
Warnings: some sexual references; references to Ovid, a Roman poet whose work involves sexual themes

*Highly recommend.  Humor abounds!
-I own several copies of this play.
My view of Shakespeare increased drastically as I read this play in the original form (I have read picture book versions of this play).  His cleverness, intelligence and creativity are beyond comprehension!


No comments:

Post a Comment