Monday, April 19, 2021

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis**

-Award winner -John Newbery Medal

 I read this aloud to my boys, ages eleven and fourteen.  We all thoroughly enjoyed.  My fourteen year old liked it the most out of the books I have read aloud so far this year.  The boys probably would not have read it on their own.  But it is a worthy book to encourage kids to read!  

Bud Caldwell is weary of living in the orphange or in foster homes.  So after a particularly abusive foster family, he goes on the "lam".  He knows his father is Herman E. Calloway, who is part of the famous band, the Dusky Devastators of the Depression!!!!!!  From Flint, Michigan, Bud sets off to find his father in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  

What I loved about this book was the character development.  Bud is so likable and well-developed.  Even the gentlemen in the band, minor characters, are well-developed.  Mr. Curtis is a master of portraying real life--heartbreaking situations coupled with laugh-out-loud comments and events.  This book brought tears to my eyes and also made me burst out laughing.  

We also listened to some chapters on audio during weeks we were in the car more frequently.  Mr. James Avery was a delight to listen to and portrayed the different characters well.

Warning: Although it is marketed to middle grade, I would recommend it for middle school and up.  The themes would be valued more by an older audience/readers.  Bud faces abuse  in his foster care setting.  A girl kisses him, and he likes it!  His mom's death is brought up a few times.  This is a book I would recommend reading with and discussing with your kids.

**Highly, highly recommend.

-We own this book.  We borrowed the audiobook.





No comments:

Post a Comment