Thursday, June 10, 2021

Skippack School by Marguerite de Angeli*

 My aunt, who is currently in her eighties and fraktur artist, recently gave me this book.  The story features Christopher Dock, a Mennonite teacher who was highly regarded.  My aunts, uncles,  and parents attended a private school named after him.  

Eli Shrawder and his family have arrived from Germany to Pennsylvania to start a new life where they can worship freely.  As Eli adjusts to school, he finds himself wanting to impress his teacher, Master Christopher, but his mischievous nature interferes.  Through discipline and prayers, Eli becomes a more disciplined student and person.  

An insightful view of the early settlers in Pennsylvania and the Mennnite culture.  Frakturs decorate the chapter headings. I love how the endpages display a map of Eli's area.

*Highly recommend (especially when learning about the Mennonites and early settlers).

-I own this book.





No comments:

Post a Comment