Wednesday, June 9, 2021

The Tempest text set

 After reading The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt, my eleven-year-old wanted to read The Tempest.  Usually whenever we read a Shakespeare play, we first read a picture book or graphic novel of it before reading the actually play.  Below are two books we read.

William Shakespeare's The Tempest retold by Bruce Coville illustrated by Ruth Sanderson*

Beautiful paintings.  Well-written story.

*Highly recommend.




Graphic novel-Graphic Shakespeare -The Tempest adapted by Daniel Conner illustrated by Cynthia Martin  --I found that this version was more challenging to understand.  Mr. Conner used the orginial language for most of the dialogue.  The format/layout for some reason distracted me.  If I had not read the above picture book, I would have been a bit lost!  I do like graphic novels and normally enjoy the format.


 
The following books we may read later this year (my fourteen-year-old will be reading The Tempest this year for English):
-No Fear Shakespeare- The Tempest edited by John Crowther
-Updated Edition-Folger Shakespeare Library -The Tempest edited by Barbara A. Mowat and Paul Werstine



Soon we will be listening to the following audio of the play-






No comments:

Post a Comment