Sunday, March 13, 2022

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys-graphic novel adapted by Andrew Donkin art by Dave Kopka Color by Brann Livesay*

 When I went to the library to pick up Ruta Sepetys's novel, I Will Betray You, my library was displaying this new graphic novel version of her novel, Between Shades of Gray. I decided to borrow it. 

I don't know if I could handle reading the full-length version of this book. 

This account relates the Soviet's invasion of Lithuania and deporting thousands of Lituanians to Siberia. Lina, her brother Jonas, and their mother manage to remain together and endure brutal treatment and conditions. Through it all Lina writes and draws about the torturous, horrific years. 

Not for the sensitive reader. My mind could not comprehend how human beings could be this cruel or how anyone could survive this treatment.

Labeled "young adult" but see my warnings.

*Highly recommend for adults.

Warnings: the idea and hint of prostitution, graphic torture and abuse, death, a baby dies and is dumped through the hole in a train car, the women need to strip down to shower (nothing is shown), a guard/agent fondles Lina's breast, numerous times the guards look at the women inappropriately, mentions men "getting between your legs".






No comments:

Post a Comment